- I did beta test #4 of my “secret project” on Monday. I think after I wrap up some final details, I’m about ready to start pushing it to prod!
- On Tuesday, I went to a “Girls Night Out” meetup event at a trivia night at a restaurant. It was a lot of fun and got to chat with several cool women in town.
- On Wednesday I had dinner with Rachel, someone I randomly meet at an event in town after she tweeted that she needed a phone battery charger and included the event hashtag, and I happened to see it and loaned it to her. Then decided last week “why don’t we actually talk?” And we were chatting up a storm before we realized we both needed to head home. I need to get together with her again, she’s fun!
- I’ve been feeling the sluggishness of my desktop computer for a while. After some conversations with some people, I realized that I built it in 2009, and just threw more upgrades at it. But it’s maxed out… I really can’t do anything else to it. So with the help of my friend Lindsey, I bought a new computer, and built it! It’s the first computer I had to get my own heatsink for, so after the first didn’t work out, I got a second one. And the computer is up and running! I name my computers after planets, and ran out after Neptune and Pluto, so I had to move on to other “gravitationally round” objects in the solar system. So Neptune is retiring and Salacia is now the main machine. And it’s a beast, but lately have been doing a lot of number crunching, along with other background software, so this should help out immensely!
- Up to this point in my job, I’ve been solving bugs or adding new features in random modules of our software we develop. It’s been hard to ramp up here because I feel like I’ve been all over the place when trying to learn things. This past week I was assigned onto a new project to rewrite an older module into our newer framework. I’m actually really excited because it means I can hopefully figure out this module and not have to keep feeling like I’m relearning things
- I reviewed multiple PRs.
- I solved 3 bugs.
- One bug carried over into the next sprint.
- I had Monday off for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
- Finished Die Hard 4 and 5 (I started 1-3 the previous week). I feel like DH 5 should be called “Die Hard and Let’s See How Many Cars We Can Destroy While We’re At It”
- Listened to a few episodes of Women in Tech podcast.
- I’ve also been watching James Bond movies. They’re a good part of “oh that’s cool!” and “oh dear, not good towards women,” though as I seem to be getting later in the decades, they are definitely getting better (though still not perfect). I would love to have some of those gadgets though.
- Last Week (1/9/2017)
- Nothing this week
On the Internet
- The most hilarious thing I’ve seen in a while is this horse playing with a rubber chicken. I could probably watch this for an hour because it’s that hilarious!
- Apparently Google discreetly changed Google Translate from a phrase-based translation service to a neural network one. And somehow in the process, that neural net invented its own intermediary language. Fascinating! (And reminds me I need to start that machine learning/neural net online class I saw a long time ago because it’s something I want to learn.)
- I have a big interest in AI and machine learning, but really haven’t spent any time trying to dig in yet. Though interestingly, this article about writing your first artificial intelligence makes sense. You got to start simple and work up from there!
- This laundry folding machine is pretty cool!
- This article proposes that there’s an age group for IKEA furniture, and you might have “outgrown” it already.
Also published on Medium.